Notes | LAS GNOME Meeting Friday April 22nd

Hi All,

We had a really productive meeting today. Thanks, Sri for sending an update beforehand, it was really helpful.

Please check out this link for the full notes: https://etherpad.gnome.org/p/westcoasthackfest2016. I'm also pasting them below.

We have a lot of action items.

An important note is that we want to get rid of the FAQ page and distribute the information there on the relevant pages. We don't think that people will check the FAQ and some of that information is very important for people to know. @Sri - let us know if you have adamant objections and we can chat.

Thanks, everyone and see you next week!

Best,
Nuritzi

---------
April 22, 2016
Attendees: Alexandre, Nuritzi, Zana, Cassandra, Patrick

Action Steps:

Zana
  • @Zana to email Federico to help with the Code of Conduct
  • @Zana work with @Patrick to work through the Paypal revenue challenge (see notes below)

Patrick:
  • @Patrick will reach out to @Zana about the paypal address and the API key
  • @Patrick wiill work with @Sri to figure out the permission sets for the website and also naming for paypal

Sri:
  • @Sri needs to help populate the list of intake fields for the registration page
  • @Sri - to provide other information that we want to gather from the participants. Right now we only have: name and email
  • @Sri - do we have any sponsors yet?
  • @Sri - Is there any update on the evening events for the conference yet?
  • @Sri - attend the papers committee meeting. @Adelia sent out the framadate poll via email so check with her if you haven't filled out the poll already.
  • @Sri - enhance the "About GNOME" page. Add a link to the gnome.org About page, and talk about how we are involved in hosting the project.

Nuritzi:
  • @Nuritzi to work with Patrick on IRC to submit a pull request for registration footer fixes
  • @Nuritzi - to migrate FAQ page answers to other sections of the website and remove the FAQ page
  • @Nuritzi - try to get a background image for the website from fiver.com

Alexandre:
  • @Alexandre to help format the table on the Schedule page (make it prettier)

Cassandra:
  • @Cassandra - work on the LAS GNOME logo
  • @Cassandra - try to find photos more for the pages. For example, add more to the "Why sponsor?" page

Need to find someone for these:
  • @? - add a link to the registration page from the registration section of the website on May 2nd.
  • @? - need to create a template for the badges so we can print them beforehand

NOTES

Code of Conduct
  • We need to write this by May 2nd when regstration opens. Federico is helping to write the code of conduct for other things, so Zana will reach out.

Logo
  • - should try to add the "hosted by" text in the logo or else de-emphasize the GNOME foot. LAS should be more prominent.
  • - Same logo should be used across all material. Create a horizontal and vertical version like GNOME has.

Registration Page:
    - https://github.com/puiterwijk/regcfp - our page is located under themes/lasgnome
    - change the logo to a LAS one
    - make sure that the links under "Libre Application Summit" work
    - Fix the typo "Libre Application Submmit" in the footer
    - check to make sure that the paypal is set up
    - may be difficult to separate revenue from the conference on Paypal if we use the general GNOME account
    - permission sets (who will vote for papers, register, etc). naming display on paypal. Sri is helping with this.
    - we need the other information that we want to gather from the participants. Right now we have: name and email (comes from registration). Might want to consider:
  • - areas in which they are interested
  • - Does the system work with printed badges? Yes. Patrick needs the badges artwork in inkscape format. Inserting the badge template is trivial as long as we have the artwork. We will need this set up a few days before the conference. Printing the badges at the conference itself takes a lot of time. Printing is cheaper if we print in batches If you expect 150 attendees then you print out 200. Should print these out at a local print shop. We can choose the size. Can then print out the batches then print out the names at the conference.

Pricing:
    - $100 early bird and then $120 after Monday, August 29th

Mozilla is going to end support for Mozilla Persona so we will need to find another tool for the registration page next year. Patrick is already working on this.

Website:
    - need to change the main background image, Sri suggested a hand drawn cityscape of a Portland bridge. Nuritzi to try to get one on Fiver.com
    - we need to change the table on the schedule
    - @Sri - Is there any update on the evening events yet?
    - Add sponsors to the background image on the homepage? Might have  That means we will need to have an editable file handy so that we can add new sponsors as they come in.
    - Add a "Meet Our Sponsors" page where we add all of our sponsors. Add OpenSuse and GNOME as "Partners". Add a description of the sponsors and partners. @Alexandre to help format the table to display those sections. He will model it after: http://www.pycon.fr/2013/sponsors/, but make the logos a little larger.
    - Do we have any sponsors already? @Sri
    - We need to add a link or a button to the Registration page on the website linking to lasreg.gnome.org
    - FAQ section: should think about spreading out the informaiton on the other pages and not having an FAQ standalone page. We should discuss with Sri to make sure he's onboard with that idea.
  •         - "FAQs are a horrible thing and they should die." -- Alexandre Franke
  • - e.g. "Who should attend" section could be on the homepage to draw people in.
  • - The "About GNOME" page, add a link, talk about how we are involved in hosting the project.