update on website, and other stuff

Howdy all,

I won't be able to make the meeting today because I'm driving up to the conference and it is a bit of a hike. (~6 hours)

I have been given access to the code base for lasreg.gnome.org, and I've made some modifications already.  I tried to make a logo, but it has proved to be difficult as I have the artistic skills of a drunk muskrat. :-)  But what we need for a logo is:176x56 pixel logo.  It is sort of regrettable that we have been going back and forth on the website software, and I think the lack of a web dev has hurt us here, I have made some attempts to get some help from the other web devs around and also reached out to some former OPW students to see if I can entice them to come back to help with this project.  So at the moment, we are holding the status quo since I have some control over lasreg.gnome.org and I can leverage other people on the GUADEC team.  I hope people are okay with me making that decision.  If not, then let's have a chat about it and we can include Patrick and anybody else involved and try to make an informed decision if people are unhappy with the actions I have taken.

Back to the logo: I think we just need to make it 'LAS GNOME' if you want to embellish it by maybe adding a GNOME foot to replace the 'O' maybe?  I dont think we need to make it fancy, we can do that at some other time.  Right now, functionality over form. :-)

Website content: I have added all the modifications to the website that was stated in my action items on Tuesday.  The only one I think I may have missed is the first FAQ question, but that can link back.

I did a review of the las.gnome.org, and I think things are good except for that blue sky picture in the front.  For some reason, it just doesn't speak to me as a good inital impression.. mostly because it is an empty sky if anything.  I think the conversation we had with Andreas about a skyline is the right way to go.

So please review the website content, and then let me know what else is needed.  I will try to get the lasreg.gnome.org up in shape so it matches the website.  I'll have to learn css and some other webdev stuff, but no big deal.  I learn how to do new stuff all the time for short term goal purposes.

Papers committee:

I have come up with a set of tracks for discussion with the papers committee that is documented on the website at http://las.gnome.org/about/

This will give a point of discussion to start from rather than starting free form.  I would like to talk about social issues and the open source development model as well.  Mostly because they are hot topics and it will attract companies because there isn't enough knowledge about them.  I'm sure companies like Endless probably initially had to struggle with how this model works and how to work with upstream when building products.  So I think they are valid topics and I know that we had a large track at Collab Summit.

So Adelia if you can start that discussion with them, that would be great.  I can take more control next week of the discussion but right now I need to get LFNW 2016 out of the way.

Thanks guys!  Hope you have a good meeting and I look forward to the minutes.

sri