Re: Cooperating on .defs API specifications

Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> writes:

>> AFAIK, at least pygtk and guile-gobject use those files. James, how do
>> you feel about maintaining these cooperativly? In the near future
>> (with some luck in the next two weeks) the current guile-gobject
>> "monolith" project will be split up into several pieces, managed in
>> different Arch[0] packages. I think it would be a good idea to have a
>> seperate "defs" package, containing only the .defs files for all
>> (well, all that we already have .defs files for) GNOME APIs. There
>> will be branches for each released GNOME version (starting with 2.6).
>
> If we do this, let's have the defs in GNOME's cvs. I guess we could have
> a gnome-defs module, with sub-directories for each GNOME module, such as
> gtk+, atk, libgnomeui, etc.

OK. No problem with that, but I still want to offer an Arch gateway,
since CVS, erm... sucks.

[the .defs]

> gtkmm uses them. For the methods, we use the output of
> pygtk/codegen/h2defs.py almost unchanged. The other stuff needs to be
> generated with different utilities, so we keep them separate.

/me increments def-user-count :). It's so long now that I hacked on
gtkmm'ish stuff, that I forgot wether this involved .debs.

> Sharing of .defs should be a reasonable aim for the GNOME 2.8 cycle.

I heard there is a specification of the file format somewhere, but I
havent found it yet. Anybody having details?

Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty ICQ      | 118634484 ICQ | a rottmann gmx at

Python is executable pseudocode, Perl is executable line-noise.