Cooperating on .defs API specifications

Hi!

[Gauche and Bigloo GTK+ folks CC'ed]

I just finished my first pass through the GTK+ .defs, in preparation
for making guile-gobject support GNOME 2.6. Due to the huge size of
the API, this took me most of today afternoon. I think it would be
definitly worth centralizing the maintainance of these files.

AFAIK, at least pygtk and guile-gobject use those files. James, how do
you feel about maintaining these cooperativly? In the near future
(with some luck in the next two weeks) the current guile-gobject
"monolith" project will be split up into several pieces, managed in
different Arch[0] packages. I think it would be a good idea to have a
seperate "defs" package, containing only the .defs files for all
(well, all that we already have .defs files for) GNOME APIs. There
will be branches for each released GNOME version (starting with 2.6).

This means everybody interested will be able to check the "defs"
directory out, and plug it somewhere into their project tree, just
issuing a "tla update" to stay on track. Also, every project may fork
off (no write access or whatsoever required, thanks to Arch) and have
their local changes and generic improvements, which can be easily
merged back.

What about the other Schemes (Bigloo, Gauche) and Common Lisp? How do
you currently generate your bindings? Since the .defs files have
(simple) Scheme/Lisp syntax, you are obvious candidates for basing
your wrappers on them ;-).

[0] http://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-arch

Regards, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty ICQ      | 118634484 ICQ | a rottmann gmx at

Latein ist das humanoide Äquivalent zu Fortran.
   -- Alexander Bartolich in at.linux