Re:Octave bindings for GTK+

Hello !
Thanks Muppet for the work on GTK-Perl, and
the great reply you posted. I did check out
James Henstridge's tutorial on language-bindings.
Im reading Matheu Lacage's GObject tutorial.

> Muthu wrote
> > Octave, for the record *does not* support call by reference.

Muppet wrote
> You may be able to work around this, if you make some evil assumptions.
> Assume that you have an int large enough to hold a pointer on all
> platforms.  Then you could turn the widget pointers into integers that
> you'll use as "handles" in octave.
That was really cool! Abusing an integer ;-)

> Does octave have an object model?  (I haven't used it much beyond doing
> ffts and state models and such, forgive my ignorance.)

Im not sure about Octave the programming language.
Ive never seen classes, and I assume that it doesnt have an object model
for the users atleast. I allows dynamic assignment, and makes
structures , but an object model? I dont think so.
Octave itself is written in C++ and it uses lots and lots of
OO concepts in it.

>From what you said, I understood that

1: I must manually write 'C++' wrappers for interfacing Octave
   with GLib & GOBject.
2: Then I could use SWIG at some point of time to ceate the binding
   code for all the GTK+ widgets & GDK.
3: I could then write Octave wrappers to access the internal
   dynamically loaded C++ functions of Octave.

Ive got a weenytweeny little bit of experience with SWIG+Python
and Octave dynamic binding & extension programming.

Please straighten out the creases in ideas, and make
it clear to me.

Thanks for paitence.

Cheers
Muthu.