Re: Bindings Beta1 Tarballs due: Feb 16th.

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 16:12, Ross McFarland wrote:
> Murray Cumming said:
> > As per the schedule, tarballs are due for Beta1 on Feb 16th
> > http://www.gnome.org/start/2.5/bindings/
> >
> > At that time you must freeze your APIS, so you can not change or even
> > add API without getting approval first. I'd like to know how the
> > maintainers feel about that at this time.
> >
> > Personally I'll try to do 2 gtkmm releases before the 16th. You can
> > never do too many.
>
> i may be missing something, but i don't think gtk+ has declaired it's api
> frozen yet. if that's the case how exactly are we supposed to be freezing
> ours?
>
> as i said before it's pointless to define absolute dates for the bindings. we
> should have the dates defined realitive to our dependancies. (i.e. last
> dependancies freeze date + 1 week, last release date + 1 week, ...)

I expect the GTK+ API to be frozen very soon. It absolutely must be
frozen on the GNOME 2.6.0 date or GNOME 2.6 would be delayed. That is
very unlikely to happen. And it would be madness to freeze the API at
the last moment. So, I think our date is OK.

Of course a bindings API change to cope with an underlying API change is
OK, though you'd still need

By the way, our freeze and final dates are already meant to be kind of
relative to the GTK+/GNOME dates.

So, we stick to the freeze. Does that sound OK?

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com