Re: Language bindings on developer.gnome.org

Curtis C. Hovey wrote:

I read the 'developer.gnome.org needs some love' thread in the

gnome-web-list archive
(http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-web-list/2003-June/thread.html)
and the past few months to catch up on the issue.  I don't want to upset
anyone, but the GTK binding page did not answer my questions. I'm
interested in GNOME desktop application development, not GTK app
development; the GTK binding would not have helped me join GNOME.
At the moment there is really only one actively maintained list of GTK/Gnome language bindings, and that is the one on www.gtk.org. Because it is the only one, language binding authors have been sending in updates which greatly reduces the maintenance load.

If you start working on a second independent LB page, it means there are two possible places where LB authors might send updates. This increases the chance that authors will send their updates to one of the language bindings pages and not the other.

It seems that your main complaints about the page on www.gtk.org is that (a) it doesn't contain information about support for various Gnome platform libraries and (b) it isn't on developer.gnome.org. Neither of these issues really require starting a new table. To fix (a), we just need to add more columns to data used generate the GTK page. To fix (b), we could put a page on d.g.o built from the same data.

It's probably worth putting the source for the table in to the language-bindings module in CVS, and then setting up the GTK and d.g.o website build scripts to pull the data from there.

The information we would need about each binding are:

   * project name
   * home page
   * a contact email
   * For each library, an indicator of how well the binding supports it
     (not at all, poor, medium or good).  This would be fairly
     subjective, but I think "percentage support" numbers would be even
     less useful.

For any pages displaying this info, there should be a link telling people where to send updates.

How does this sound?

James.

--
Email: james daa com au