Re: gmail plugin: display all contact data -- integrate patch?

Hi Adi,

thanks for the quick answer!

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Adi J. Sieker <adi sieker info> wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> On 14/01/11 17:16, Stefan Otte wrote:
>>
>> Hey there,
>>
>> I'm wondering if there are plans to merge adsworth changes into
>> kupfer. He extended the gmail plugin to display all contact data. See
>> also:
>>
>> https://github.com/adsworth/kupfer/commit/a07510a872efd80a27f26d959b4c96f12a89160e
>>
>> This seems to me really useful. Quicksilver had such an feature (of
>> course using address book). Also QS allowed to show maps for a
>> contact. A very handy feature as well which should be easy to
>> integrate as well.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I guess this sort of died around September last year.
> I mailed the list about my update to the plugin [1].
> Ulrik had some concerns about the coding in general which I cleaned up.
> He also had some concern about me not using the contacts grouping anymore
> since apparently I'm using the EmailContact incorrectly. The grouping is
> implemented by using something called slots, I can find references to that
> in the Kupfer code, but I have no idea what the grouping actually does in
> respect to the user experience. I posted a follow up asking for more
> information on the slots since I can't find any documentation on them
> anywhere.
> My mail mail must have gotten lost in a busy schedule. Then I got swamped
> with work and didn't follow it up anymore either.
> So the code is there I'm using it on a daily basis and it's working fine,
I'm using it too and it works really well!
> but I'm still not sure as what the now missing contact grouping actually
> did.
>
> To resume I'm still using the EmailContact for all the Email addresses. I'm
> just not populating them with the name and the email address. I'm populating
> them with the label such as work, home, etc. pp. and the email adress.
>
> I'm still busy atm but I'd be glad to do some work on the plugin to get it
> checked in when I get time.
Do you think that is anytime soon? I'd really like to see this in the
next release and I want to help. My question is basically what needs
to get done to get this checked in.

What is wrong with the current code and what is expected?
The GoogleContact should be an ContactLeaf as mentioned in obj/contacts.py?
And the slot mechanism should be used?
Anything else?

@Ulrik
It would be really nice if you could help!

Best,
 Stefan