Re: Kupfer plugin design

Hi Michal and Ulrik,

I employed a great young programmer here in Melbourne called Chris Barnett to create a simple RTM plugin for me.  All it does is create tasks, but you can "smart add" tasks using raw text in Kupfer and keeping to RTM's syntax.

Please let me know if this is helpful.

Ulrik, I'd be very happy if you could make this plugin part of the next Kupfer release.  It might need some modification.  My only request is that you mention the following:

Alexander Garber of Clockwork PC (www.clockworkpc.com.au) -- because I paid for it and am giving it freely for everyone to use and enjoy.
Christopher Barnett -- he made it under a very tight deadline and with many other projects to complete.

Kind regards,

Alexander Garber
alex clockworkpc com au
www.clockworkpc.com.au

On 27 October 2010 20:37, Ulrik Sverdrup <ulrik sverdrup gmail com> wrote:
2010/10/26 Michał Klich <michal michalklich com>

> Hi,
>
> I am writing Remember The Milk (rtm) plugin for kupfer. Problem i stumbled upon is related to network.
> Every Action that has to connect to rtm API is blocking kupfer ui.
> How would i process Action in background so user can use kupfer? I have tried multiprocessing but it would still block ui, obviously path i am taking is wrong.
> Any guidance would help.
>
> Thanks

Hi,

Please contact Alex as he is maybe already working on such a plugin:
alex clockworkpc com au

Below is what I sent him as advice, there should be something about
asynchrononus actions, checkout kupfer.commandexec and kupfer.task
modules. I'm sorry that I have no time for Kupfer at this time.

Ulrik

-----

Hi,

This sounds exciting, thank you for supporting such a project; it is a
feature that has been wished for by many people I believe.

First, the Kupfer manual is something that I want contributors to
read, here I've linked to our Guidelines and Policy section:

http://kaizer.se/wiki/kupfer/Manual/#guidelines-and-policy

the documentation of the plugin building blocks is not totally
complete and I have yet to receive any feedback on this document,
maybe since most parts are very easy to understand already.

I do recommend contributors to both start simple and to keep it
simple, this is a Kupfer philosophy (while there are parts of Kupfer
that need refactoring at this point, the "object system" is good).
Now, internet services and asynchronous upload or download is a bit
more complicated than the normal plugin. For asynchronous actions, I
do recommend your contributor to use the kupfer.task.Task prototype if
possible (see for example kupfer.plugin.urlactions), for asynchronous
Sources I don't have a ready general prototype I believe (See gtg for
a simple plugin, or google_picasa for an example that is (too)
complicated). Of course, no plugin should poll obsessively nor use
large resources (since there are 50+ plugins, then if it does not
scale to 50x what it does, it's not really viable).

If you want to bundle action/leaf/object icons that's possible, but
the graphics must of course be of a free license. ATM we include one
GPLv3+ icon and some CC-SA-3.0 icons in Kupfer (see gmail for an
example).

I don't have so much time for Kupfer development at the moment, but I
will answer questions regularly and do code review. So I will be able
to use time for reviewing this regularly, but not so much for
interactive work through chat or so.

Since I am the only person to do review for Kupfer (almost), it is
possible to email me directly but I think the kupfer mailing list
should be preferred for everything.

Best Regards,
Ulrik