Re: Kupfer plugin design

2010/10/26 Michał Klich <michal michalklich com>

> Hi,
>
> I am writing Remember The Milk (rtm) plugin for kupfer. Problem i stumbled upon is related to network.
> Every Action that has to connect to rtm API is blocking kupfer ui.
> How would i process Action in background so user can use kupfer? I have tried multiprocessing but it would still block ui, obviously path i am taking is wrong.
> Any guidance would help.
>
> Thanks

Hi,

Please contact Alex as he is maybe already working on such a plugin:
alex clockworkpc com au

Below is what I sent him as advice, there should be something about
asynchrononus actions, checkout kupfer.commandexec and kupfer.task
modules. I'm sorry that I have no time for Kupfer at this time.

Ulrik

-----

Hi,

This sounds exciting, thank you for supporting such a project; it is a
feature that has been wished for by many people I believe.

First, the Kupfer manual is something that I want contributors to
read, here I've linked to our Guidelines and Policy section:

http://kaizer.se/wiki/kupfer/Manual/#guidelines-and-policy

the documentation of the plugin building blocks is not totally
complete and I have yet to receive any feedback on this document,
maybe since most parts are very easy to understand already.

I do recommend contributors to both start simple and to keep it
simple, this is a Kupfer philosophy (while there are parts of Kupfer
that need refactoring at this point, the "object system" is good).
Now, internet services and asynchronous upload or download is a bit
more complicated than the normal plugin. For asynchronous actions, I
do recommend your contributor to use the kupfer.task.Task prototype if
possible (see for example kupfer.plugin.urlactions), for asynchronous
Sources I don't have a ready general prototype I believe (See gtg for
a simple plugin, or google_picasa for an example that is (too)
complicated). Of course, no plugin should poll obsessively nor use
large resources (since there are 50+ plugins, then if it does not
scale to 50x what it does, it's not really viable).

If you want to bundle action/leaf/object icons that's possible, but
the graphics must of course be of a free license. ATM we include one
GPLv3+ icon and some CC-SA-3.0 icons in Kupfer (see gmail for an
example).

I don't have so much time for Kupfer development at the moment, but I
will answer questions regularly and do code review. So I will be able
to use time for reviewing this regularly, but not so much for
interactive work through chat or so.

Since I am the only person to do review for Kupfer (almost), it is
possible to email me directly but I think the kupfer mailing list
should be preferred for everything.

Best Regards,
Ulrik