Re: Naming conventions

Il giorno Tue, 2 Feb 2010 20:35:46 +0100
Ulrik Sverdrup <ulrik sverdrup gmail com> ha scritto:

> 2010/2/2 Marco Asa <aesir ml gmail com>:
> > Hello, everyone, I'm the contributor of kupfer package in the
> > Archlinux "AUR" repository.
> >
> > Unfortunately the build system of Arch doesn't like uncommon version
> > identifiers such as "pandora-box-1", and I have to do some
> > workaround to make the build script of the new version work, but
> > still with two issues.
> >
> > 1)I have to invent a different version identifier: something like
> > pb1, because hyphens are not allowed.
> >
> > 2)If the name changes again, it may be not recognized as an upgrade
> > by the users, (this release would be OK since "c19" string compared
> > to "pb1" is minor)
> >
> > I would ask if it's possible to adopt a more common, numeric
> > progressing versioning system. Or at least to let me know if the
> > next releases would be called also pandora-box (2,3 and so forth) or
> > something else, so I could arrange a suitable workaround.
>
> Hi,
>
> I think either p1 or pb1 is ok. I only considered the debian policy on
> version before deciding to use a hyphen. At the end of the day,
> version numbers don't mean anything anyway, but as you see they at
> least increase in lexical order.
>
> Thanks for maintaining the Arch package!
> ulrik

If the release cycle will mantain an alphabetical order the new
version will be automatically signaled to the users. Not like
the upgrade from c9 to c10 that required the user initiative, for the
same lexicographic reason.

Thank you for considering the small but steadly growing community of
Archlinux

--
Asa Marco <marcoasa90 gmail com> 朝