Re: [jokosher-devel] Python eggs and setuptools

Christopher Brown wrote:
Hey folks,

Just submitted an update for Fedora after pulling in latest Jokosher
subversion. Tried ascii art which was partially successful though the
guitar ended up looking more like a ghost waving but being torpedoed
at the same time.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F8/pending/jokosher-1.0-0.2.20080216svn.fc8

Anyway, the crux of my email. Are we expecting the 1.0 release
soon-ish?

We can't give a proper answer right now, which should give you an indication that we are not actively planning any release. When we can add enough value to justify a whole 0.1 increment, and we can decide what exactly 1.0 means (finished? perfect?) then we'll release.

But don't hold your breath.

I know, someone was going to ask it at some point. I'm also
having to rebuild all the eggs from source as opposed to included
binaries. I was under the impression that setuptools did that already
but could someone please confirm.

Never being an upstream person, I was under the impression that src was binary, cause well its just python. The only exception is the translations, and those are built and installed by the dist-utils script. I think this is not the same as setuptools, and it is the way ubuntu does it, which is the only distro package system I have had any experience with.

Laszlo