Re: [jokosher-devel] Nearing the freeze

Right. We're talking about moving from 3 sites to 2 (that actually
looks like 1). I don't have a problem with one wiki, but I was
convinced when we originally dicussed this that we needed 2.

If we have just one docs site (one wiki), it needs to have its own
theme that makes it obvious it's a wiki and easy to use as a wiki. We
can not have different themes for different parts of the wiki. One of
the immutable goals for the docs site was that it must look like
jokosher.org. If that goal has changed, I'm all for it.

When we originally built userdocs.j.o and docs.j.o, the idea was that
everyone would edit userdocs and then our docteam would pull out the
best bits of that and put them on docs; docs would always be
well-formatted, would not have user comments all over it, and would in
short be the Official Jokosher Manual. I don't see why that goal's
changed. Now, people aren't currently using it in that way, and
therefore there may be confusion, but I don't see why that changes the
basic idea. If we have one docs site and only one, then we won't ever
have a nice looking well formatted manual; we'll have a sprawling
badly-formatted wiki as the proper documentation for Jokosher, and we
were trying to avoid that. What's different now?

We also cannot have different ACLs for different parts of the wiki.
That was another serious consideration when we built the site. If we
use one wiki, we need to have a security model that lets anyone edit
but also lets us lock certain parts of the site (the released
documentation). This is hard to do on one wiki. Our security needs may
have changed, however.

Hopefully we can get Aq to weigh in on this.

The sites don't have to be docs.jokosher.org and
userdocs.jokosher.org. We can serve all this stuff up as part of the
main jokosher.org site if we like; there doesn't have to be the big
separation between different parts. What I need to understand is what
the motive for changing it is, because as far as I can see at the
moment the only motive is "people aren't changing userdocs much, so
docs and userdocs have the same content, which is silly". That, to me,
means that the community isn't big enough yet or that we're not
telling people about it in the right way, not that the basic idea is a
bad one.

sil

--
<muntyan> what's the point in embedding emacs anyway? it's like
         embedding rocket ship into toyota camry