Re: Documentation for gnome-shell's Extension API

hi;

On 8 May 2014 14:33, Jon Kristensen <info jonkri com> wrote:

Another API question... This time about gnome-shell extensions.

I'm looking for an accessible way to access an up-to-date JavaScript API
for gnome-shell extensions development. Is there a web API or something
similar available somewhere?

shell extensions are executed in the shell context, so they are able
to manipulate shell internals. this means that there's no actual API,
and the reference is the code.

the shell is written using a mix of mutter's API (the Meta namespace);
the Shell Toolkit (St namespace); and Clutter.

Also, on my Fedora 20 box, I have a bunch of JavaScript files
in /usr/share/gnome-shell/js that I can look through. However, on an
Arch Linux installation of mine (running GNOME 3.12), this directory
doesn't exist.

they are "compressed" into a single binary by default, but they can be
extracted, see this blog post about it:

http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2014/03/24/keeping-gnome-shell-approachable/

ciao,
 Emmanuele.