Abort while accessing a non-existing Settings schema?

gjs (and also seed, I don't know about other language binding) always
abort while accessing a non-existing Settings schema, and it seems
that I cannot even catch this exception. This always crash my
gnome-shell when a extension that use schema is not installed under
root or haven't run glib-compile-schemas in advance.

Is there any reason to be like this or is there a better way to avoid
crashing? (check if the schema exist before using it?)

Thanks.

Yichao Yu