Internship Application: Location Aware Policies & Security Project

Hi,

I am Usman Haider from Pakistan. I attached my answers to the application form questions. Also pasting below:

Do you confirm that you are eligible for this internship as stated in our eligibility rules at https://wiki.gnome.org/Internships#Eligibility?. Answer "yes" or "no". "yes"

Do you confirm that you have read and agree with the internship contract linked at https://wiki.gnome.org/Internships#Eligibility?. Answer "yes" or "no". "yes"

== Personal Information ==

If you are accepted, fields in this section that are marked "(public)" will be displayed on a public acceptances page. If you prefer different information to be displayed publicly than you want to provide in this form, please provide both a private version visible only to the coordinators and mentors of the internship, and a public version to be displayed publicly.

Name (public):

Usman Haider

Preferred pronoun (e.g. she, he, they):

He

E-mail address:

uhaider msee15seecs seeccs edu pk

Blog URL (public, required):

https://uhaider.github.io/

IRC nick (public, optional):

uhaider

Twitter URL (public, optional):

Website or Portfolio URL (optional):

GitHub, GitLab, or any other code repository URL (optional):

https://github.com/UHaider/

LinkedIn URL (optional):

Any other online presence URL you wish to provide:

Location (city, state/province, and country) (public):

Islamabad, Capital, Pakistan

Education completed or in progress (include university, major/concentration, degree level, and graduation year):

Doing Masters in EE with course work completed at 3.81/4.0 CGPA. In my Bachelors I studied multiple CS courses including Data Structures, Computer programming. Network programming and Logic Design and hence my interest in coding.

How did you hear about this internship?

I get across this internship while searching for remote open source jobs and internship on the internet.

== Project Information ==

What project are you interested in?

I am interested in Location aware policies & security.

Who is a possible mentor for the project you are interested in?

Christian Kellner,is the potential mentor.

Please describe your experience with the GNOME community and GNOME projects as a user and as a contributor. Some experience with GNOME stack and some contributions to GNOME are required for considering the application. Include information and links to the contributions you made:

I am a very long user of Ubuntu GNOME and Open SUSE and I really know how to play with GNOME UI. I started with GNOME builder and have also build basic app in GNOME builder and also standalone C app without builder that use GeoClue. Work is posted here

https://github.com/UHaider/gnomedev

Please describe your experience with the project you are interested to participate as a user and as a contributor and relevant areas. Include information and links to the contributions you made:

I am experienced in C, Python, Qt, C++ and shell scripting. I have done a GUI based project in GSoC. The link and details are given in next questions below. I am currently working on GeoClue package that is very useful for this package. I am already able to build the demo that comes with GeoClue both in standalone application and Builder. The output of the standalone application demo running OpenSUSE on my personal computer can be seen here

https://github.com/UHaider/gnomedev/blob/master/output.png

I am also working on GDBus for the same project.

Please describe your experience with any other FOSS projects as a user and as a contributor:

I participated in Google Summer of Code last year and contributed to GNSS-SDR project successfully. The link is here https://github.com/UHaider/gnss_sdr_gui

I also worked under Open Mainframe Project internship program and contributed to SUSE Package Hub. This project involved building and testing of the FOSS packages for s390x architecture. The packages I worked on are Zabbix, iciniga2 and cacti. The work can be seen here

https://uhaider.github.io/Contributing-To-SUSE-Package-Hub/

https://www.openmainframeproject.org/blog/2018/05/07/announcing-the-2018-open-mainframe-project-summer-interns

I am an active user of GNU Radio which is an FOSS for software defined radios.

Please describe any relevant projects that you have worked on previously and what knowledge you gained from working on them (include links):

I have not worked directly on this type of project earlier that deals with this area. But I have experience with C, C++, Python, shell and Linux development that can help in completing this project successfully. I have already successfully running GeoClue on my machine which is very useful for this project.

Please describe the details and the timeline of the work you plan to accomplish on the project you are most interested in (discuss these first with the mentor of the project):

Nov: Getting on Speed

In this month all relevant development environment will be setup. The study needed for the project will be done. This will involve reading documentation of relevant libraries. Look for any existing work done in this area and discuss with the mentor how can we use any existing software. Check GeoClue and Network manager package and see how these can be used in this project. Also read about system and session buses and read about security policies.

Dec:

Firt two week:

Initial software design. Make modules that can learn the position of the machine automatically. This can be done using GeoClue.

Last two week:

Make modules that will allow the user to manually enter locations. The modules will also allow user to select current location and override the position from automatic ally learned location.

Jan:

Firt two week:

Testing of the above modules and doing any modifications needed. Defining the relevant security policies for different locations.

Last two week:

Write modules that will allow adding new policies, modifying existing policies and deleting any existing policy.

Feb:

Firt two week:

Writing modules that will enable/disable, mount/unmount USB devices based on security policy and current location.

Last two week:

QA, bug fixing and documentation, blog post