[HIG] Re: CVS abuse? (I think so.)

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 15:34, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="snickell stanford edu">
>
> > Jeff,
> >
> > If there's some urgency to clearing out CVS, go ahead and delete the FOP
> > stuff (though please archive a checkout in a tarball or something
> > first).
>
> (Not hugely urgent, but it should not be in CVS in the first place.)
>
> > My internet connection is out for about a week until my DSL provider gets
> > its sorry act together (writing this from a public library terminal)... so
> > if its not urgent I can deal with this stuff better in a
> > not-so-long-while. The short story is that the FOP stuff *is* useful and I
> > want it to be convenient to access along with the HIG, but I'd be willing
> > to put it on FTP or something instead...
>
> Is this for automated builds on the server (we can put it on there for easy
> access) or for people trying to build the HIG PDFs themselves (we can link
> to the real location of the FOP stuff instead of putting it in CVS).
Its primarily so people can build PDFs themselves. But... FOP is a bit
of a pain to build, you have to collect the right *other* libraries too
to make it build, and its generally not happy (in other words, I wasted
several hours on it and there's no point making everyone do that). Also,
some of the stuff there is tweaked a little for building the HIG. So I'm
definitely going to want to provide a "drop in" version of FOP pre-setup
for the HIG... I just don't mind if you have to download a tarball off
an FTP server rather than having it come in the CVS checkout.

-Seth