Re: [HIG] REVIEW: My first-pass review of HIG

At 7:02 PM +0100 10/15/01, Calum Benson wrote:
Julian Missig wrote:

 Just a question, really...
 What if I have a Check Menu Item which says "Hide Offline Contacts"
 which is unchecked, and then the user clicks it and it changes to "Show
 Offline Contacts" and has a check mark next to it? The user will see the
 check mark and think that they have "Show Offline Contacts" enabled, no?

I don't think anyone's suggesting that you should ever use both a
checkmark *and* a dynamically-changing menu title at the same time...
that sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Yep. That is a truly frightening example there. You should never, ever, ever, ever, ever use both a mark and a dynamically-changing menu item.

  I think what Adam was saying is
that the advice should be to use a single CheckMenuItem for individual
on/off settings if the current and alternative states will be obvious,
otherwise use two mutually-exclusive CheckMenuItems (e.g. if the
alternatives aren't really opposites, such as "red" and "green"), or a
single regular menu item with no checkmark, whose label changes
depending on the current state (his "Turn Grid On" and "Turn Grid Off"
example).

At least, I think that's what he meant, although I'm not sure in which
order of preference  :)

Yep, that's what I meant.

Having two CheckMenuItems is generally preferable, since it is then obvious from the location of the checkmark what option is currently selected. For example:

* Grid On
   Grid Off

(where "*" is really a checkmark :) makes it immediately clear that the grid is on. Having a single menu item "Turn Grid On" which changes to "Turn Grid Off" requires the user to actually think "OK, so if the command is 'turn it off' that means it's on." If the items aren't really opposites, you _have_ to use two mutually exclusive CheckMenuItems.

If it's actually obvious on screen whether the feature is selected or not (as it is to some extent with "Show Toolbar / Hide Toolbar", this distinction is less important. But it's still clearer to have both options in the menu if space permits.

Adam