Re: [HIG] REVIEW: My first-pass review of HIG

Just a question, really...
What if I have a Check Menu Item which says "Hide Offline Contacts" which is unchecked, and then the user clicks it and it changes to "Show Offline Contacts" and has a check mark next to it? The user will see the check mark and think that they have "Show Offline Contacts" enabled, no?

Or are you saying we shouldn't be using GTK's CheckMenuItem?

Julian
--
email: julian jabber org
jabber:julian jabber org

Adam Elman wrote:

*SNIP*
Section 2.1.6 Toggled menu items

    This can be a significant source of UI nastiness.  This section
    needs to be much less ambiguous.  There should be a note about
    how to represent different states of menu items -- i.e. via icons
    in the menu -- and there should be strong recommendations to
    avoid some common mistakes made in this area.  These mistakes
    include:

    * Confusing menu items acting as radio buttons in a group with menu
    items acting as checkboxes.  Can these be distinguished in GTK by
    different icons?  If not, we should recommend that the two types
    of toggle menu items should never be available together in the
    same menu.

    * Ambiguous names for toggle menu items which make it difficult for
    the user to determine the actual state.  For instance, "Use
    Grid," which might either change to "<check> Use Grid" or "Don't
    Use Grid."  Instead, use an unambiguous command like "Turn Grid
    On" which changes to "Turn Grid Off".  (This example is from the
    Mac HIG, so we should find another.)

*SNIP*