Re: [HIG] Division Revision - First Part, Second Proposal

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 11:43:13AM -0800, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On 07Nov2001 03:53PM (-0600), Gregory Merchan wrote:
> > I've two versions this time: mine revised, and Maciej's.
> > (unless I goofed, which I've been doing well for the past 24 hours.)
> >

> > Proposed division (Version 2)
>
> Hey, how come you totally rearranged my proposed version? I liked it
> the way I posted it. :-)

:-p

> > 1       Introduction
> > 2       Principles
> >
> >         (Maciej adds a Desktop section here for integration issues and
> >          desktop-wide UI. I don't know what that second part is.)
>
> The second part would cover anything we cared to specify about the
> desktop, the panel, the window manager, and other global objects. I
> don't know if we care to.

Ah, ok. If were going to do that, I might be more easily swayed from my own
order.

> > 3       Primary Window
> >         (I would place menus, toolbars, and statusbars under this section;
> >          assuming that they should only appear in the primary window.)
> >
> > 4       Toolboxes and Palettes and Utility Windows
>
> My intent was to have a Windows chapter which would cover the
> different kinds of top-level windows in an overview sort of way. There
> wouldn't be much more to say about utility windows or the like, but
> dialogs and the common features of primary windows (menus, toolbars,
> etc) would deserve more coverage. Status bar can be covered int the
> Feedback chapter.

Note that I mean just the status bar that's at the bottom of a primary window.
I was keeping the bars with the primary window as the basic form is:

 +--------------------------------+
 | Menubar                        |
 +--------------------------------+
 | Toolbar                        |
 +--------------------------------+
 |                                |
 |                                |
 |  Content                       |
 |                                |
 |                                |
 +--------------------------------+
 | Statusbar                      |
 +--------------------------------+

> > 5       Dialogs
> > 6       Alerts
> >
> > 7       Feedback
>
> I don't think this needs to be three chapters. Alerts belong either
> with Dialogs or with Feedback.

I worry that people may think of alerts as dialogs and use them to often
and inappropriately.

> >         (Maciej's version would place menus and toolbars here,
> >          each with a top-level section.)
>
> I think they should be a separate chapter but probably before the
> Dialogs chapters and such, not after.

See? You've changed your order now!  :-p

> > 8       Controls
> >
> > 9       Layout and Appearance
>
> I'd mildly prefer to have one section on Controls and Layout, but the
> current Layout and Appearance section doesn't talk much about layout
> and most of the stuff from it should be put in ohter sections.
>
> > 10      Designing Effective Icons
>
> I would prefer this section just be called Icons. Why use three words when
> you can use one?

Not my doing. I was try to keep the same titles as we have now so the sections
being considered would be clear.

> > 11      User Input
> >
> > 12      Terminology
>
> I would prefer to title this "Language" because "Terminology" implies
> just talking about word choice, not use of language in general.

I don't know who came up with this title, but I've gone on about that enough.

> > 13      Simple Reality Checks
>
> I would rather just call this Checklist. Shorter, less
> cutesiness.

Of course.

Cheers,
Greg Merchan