Re: [HIG] Division Revision - First Part, Second Proposal

On 07Nov2001 03:53PM (-0600), Gregory Merchan wrote:
> I've two versions this time: mine revised, and Maciej's.
> (unless I goofed, which I've been doing well for the past 24 hours.)
>

> Proposed division (Version 2)

Hey, how come you totally rearranged my proposed version? I liked it
the way I posted it. :-)

> 1       Introduction
> 2       Principles
>
>         (Maciej adds a Desktop section here for integration issues and
>          desktop-wide UI. I don't know what that second part is.)

The second part would cover anything we cared to specify about the
desktop, the panel, the window manager, and other global objects. I
don't know if we care to.

> 3       Primary Window
>         (I would place menus, toolbars, and statusbars under this section;
>          assuming that they should only appear in the primary window.)
>
> 4       Toolboxes and Palettes and Utility Windows

My intent was to have a Windows chapter which would cover the
different kinds of top-level windows in an overview sort of way. There
wouldn't be much more to say about utility windows or the like, but
dialogs and the common features of primary windows (menus, toolbars,
etc) would deserve more coverage. Status bar can be covered int the
Feedback chapter.

> 5       Dialogs
> 6       Alerts
>
> 7       Feedback

I don't think this needs to be three chapters. Alerts belong either
with Dialogs or with Feedback.

>         (Maciej's version would place menus and toolbars here,
>          each with a top-level section.)

I think they should be a separate chapter but probably before the
Dialogs chapters and such, not after.

> 8       Controls
>
> 9       Layout and Appearance

I'd mildly prefer to have one section on Controls and Layout, but the
current Layout and Appearance section doesn't talk much about layout
and most of the stuff from it should be put in ohter sections.

> 10      Designing Effective Icons

I would prefer this section just be called Icons. Why use three words when
you can use one?

> 11      User Input
>
> 12      Terminology

I would prefer to title this "Language" because "Terminology" implies
just talking about word choice, not use of language in general.

> 13      Simple Reality Checks

I would rather just call this Checklist. Shorter, less
cutesiness.

 - Maciej