Re: [HIG] Naming

On 06Nov2001 12:18PM (-0800), Seth Nickell wrote:
> Based on recent discussions on g-h I feel like it would be helpful for
> the HIG to distance itself from Apple's HIG.

So people won't say we're "copying Apple"? Personally, I think there
is nothing to be ashamed of in copying Apple, as long as we copy
intelligently, not blindly. Also, I think most of the people making
accusations like that have not read or even heard of the Macintosh
Human Interface Guidelines.

> I would propose that, we consider selecting a different name. The
> current name hasn't really been publicized, so I don't think there's
> any substantial problem in switching (especially to something
> similar). Adam suggested "HI Handbook" after noting that the
> guidelines are no longer "mini" but aren't the full length
> guidelines we aspire eventually to write (maybe).  I thought it
> might be nice to use the word "Usability" instead, because while not
> as cool sounding, its the word we've been using elsewhere (for
> example, the "Usability Project", and even within the HIG). Adam
> points out that its not as precise, but I think what it loses in
> precision it makes up for in recognition by non-usability people.
>
> a) "Human Interface Guidelines"
> b) "Human Interface Handbook"
> c) "Usability Guidelines"

I think "Human Interface Guidelines" is a fine name. HIH and UG make
for ugly acronyms. So I vote for (a).

 - Maciej