Re: [HIG] Gnome HIG mini-guidelines outline

On 06 Aug 2001 18:15:38 -0700, Adam Elman wrote:
<snip>
> Gregory, could you post URLs for the UI hit squad report and any
> other relevant guidelines you think we should adapt?

I thought they were still available at
http://developer.gnome.org/gnome-ui/ but those pages turned up blank for
reason I do not know. What I have available is a modified copy of
gnome-uidefs.h which, iirc, contains all the spacing recommendation from
that era. I've attached the file.

<snip>

Cheers,
Greg Merchan
(auspex)

/* gnome-uidefs.h:
 * Copyright (C) 1998 Havoc Pennington
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public
 * License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
 * version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
 * Library General Public License for more details.
 *
 * You should have received a copy of the GNU Library General Public
 * License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software
 * Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
 */
/*
  @NOTATION@
*/

#ifndef GNOME_UIDEFS_H
#define GNOME_UIDEFS_H

/* This file defines standard sizes, spacings, and whatever
   else seems standardizable via simple defines. */

/* All-purpose padding. If you always use these instead of making up
   some arbitrary padding number that looks good on your screen,
   people can change the "spaciousness" of the GUI globally. */
#define GNOME_PAD          8
#define GNOME_PAD_SMALL    4
#define GNOME_PAD_BIG      12

/* These are the button numbers on a yes-no or ok-cancel GnomeDialog,
   and in the gnome-app-util callbacks. Make the program more
   readable, is all. */
#define GNOME_YES 0
#define GNOME_NO 1
#define GNOME_OK 0
#define GNOME_CANCEL 1

#include <gdk/gdkkeysyms.h>

/* These are keybindings, in GnomeUIInfo format. USE THEM OR DIE!
   Add to the list as well..
*/
#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_EXIT 	        'Q'
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_EXIT	        (GDK_CONTROL_MASK)
#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_CLOSE 	        'W'
#define	GNOME_KEY_MOD_CLOSE	        (GDK_CONTROL_MASK)

#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_CUT 	        'X'
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_CUT 	        (GDK_CONTROL_MASK)
#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_COPY	        'C'
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_COPY	        (GDK_CONTROL_MASK)
#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_PASTE 	        'V'
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_PASTE 	        (GDK_CONTROL_MASK)
#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_SELECT_ALL       'A'
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_SELECT_ALL        (GDK_CONTROL_MASK)
#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_CLEAR 	        0
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_CLEAR 	        (0)

#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_UNDO  	        'Z'
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_UNDO  	        (GDK_CONTROL_MASK)
#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_REDO	        'Z'
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_REDO	        (GDK_CONTROL_MASK | GDK_SHIFT_MASK)

#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_SAVE	        'S'
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_SAVE	        (GDK_CONTROL_MASK)
#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_OPEN	        'O'
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_OPEN	        (GDK_CONTROL_MASK)
#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_SAVE_AS	        0
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_SAVE_AS           (0)
#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_NEW	        0
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_NEW	        (0)

#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_PRINT            0
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_PRINT             (0)

#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_PRINT_SETUP      0
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_PRINT_SETUP       (0)

#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_FIND             'F'
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_FIND              (GDK_CONTROL_MASK)
#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_FIND_AGAIN       'G'
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_FIND_AGAIN        (GDK_CONTROL_MASK)
#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_REPLACE          'R'
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_REPLACE           (GDK_CONTROL_MASK)

#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_NEW_WINDOW       0
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_NEW_WINDOW        (0)
#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_CLOSE_WINDOW     0
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_CLOSE_WINDOW      (0)

#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_REDO_MOVE        'Z'
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_REDO_MOVE         (GDK_CONTROL_MASK | GDK_SHIFT_MASK)
#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_UNDO_MOVE        'Z'
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_UNDO_MOVE         (GDK_CONTROL_MASK)

#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_PAUSE_GAME       0
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_PAUSE_GAME        (0)
#define GNOME_KEY_NAME_NEW_GAME         'N'
#define GNOME_KEY_MOD_NEW_GAME          (GDK_CONTROL_MASK)

/* Gnome UI Hit Squad standards
   These are the spacings specified by the UI Hit Squad for some common widgets.
   More may be added in the future.
*/
#define GNOME_UI_NOTEBOOK_CHILD_BORDER  6
#define GNOME_UI_FRAME_CHILD_BORDER     6

#define GNOME_UI_BOX_SPACING            8
#define GNOME_UI_TABLE_CELL_SPACING     4

#define GNOME_UI_PANE_TROUGH_SIZE      12

#define GNOME_UI_RADIO_GROUP_SPACING    0
#define GNOME_UI_CHECK_GROUP_SPACING    0

#define GNOME_UI_ENTRY_LABEL_X_ALIGN    1.0
#define GNOME_UI_ENTRY_LABEL_Y_ALIGN    0.5

#endif