Re: [HIG] Mini-Guidelines style

At 12:05 PM +0100 8/10/01, colin z robertson wrote:
On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 03:33:51PM -0700, Adam Elman wrote:
 [Note: I'm choosing HTML here rather than docbook or anything else
 because I know how to write HTML, and I think if we stick to the
 below instructions, it'll be fairly straightforward to transform the
 > HTML into other formats as needed.

[...]

Personally, I'd go for docbook. It's easier to convert from docbook to
html than vice-versa. Html to docbook will require some degree of
manual work.

What do other people think? Are other people familiar with docbook?

I certainly agree that it'd be easier to transform docbook to anything else than to go the other direction; I'm just worried that it'll take time for people to learn. I'm comfortable enough with SGML that I'd be happy to learn docbook, so it's up to the rest of y'all.

If we do go for html I have a few more recommendations to make...

 Topics under these subsections should be marked as <h3>.  No headers
 below <h3> should be present.

Why not?

Just to keep the structure of the documents a little simpler. I'd reconsider this if there is objection.

 > Body text should generally be marked simply as <p>;

Please open and close <p> tags. Use them as containers rather than
separators.

Yes, thank you.

[quotes]
May I suggest:

blah blah...
Some Author

Again, I don't want to get too bogged down in semantics, and to do this _right_ we would need to specify it even clearer than this. I'd rather get this written and published quickly in HTML than in a transformable way.

The only structure I think it's important to preserve is structural, and that I see us doing through the use of headings. That will allow us to build navigation and a style via CSS. But I'm open to discussion on this. :)

 > Inline images (screenshots, etc.) should be included on their own
 paragraphs.  The ALT text should include a brief description of the
 image.  We may want to add figure captions inline in the text later.
 Do not include image formatting instructions, except height/width.
 Inline images should always be local; don't refer directly to an
 image on another site.

Do we want to be PNG purists here?

I don't particularly, but I don't care a whole lot either way. If there is an official GNOME policy on this I think we should stick to it. I note that the images on the GNOME home page are PNG's, so that's probably a good way to go.

Adam