Re: [HIG] Mini-Guidelines style

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 03:33:51PM -0700, Adam Elman wrote:
> [Note: I'm choosing HTML here rather than docbook or anything else
> because I know how to write HTML, and I think if we stick to the
> below instructions, it'll be fairly straightforward to transform the
> HTML into other formats as needed.  I don't want us to get bogged
> down in learning docbook or anything like that just to write the
> mini-guidelines; we're on too short a timeline.  'Course, if I'm the
> only person who doesn't know how to write docbook, then I think I can
> pick it up pretty quickly.  Again, though, I think it's more
> important for us to get the content written in a consistent way and
> we can figure out how to transform it later.)

Personally, I'd go for docbook. It's easier to convert from docbook to
html than vice-versa. Html to docbook will require some degree of
manual work.

What do other people think? Are other people familiar with docbook?

If we do go for html I have a few more recommendations to make...

> Topics under these subsections should be marked as <h3>.  No headers
> below <h3> should be present.

Why not?

> <h3>Always show keyboard shortcuts</h3>
>
> Body text should generally be marked simply as <p>;

Please open and close <p> tags. Use them as containers rather than
separators.

> Any quotes or paraphrases from other documents should be noted.  I
> would recommend using a simple scheme for this like (Cooper, 1999)
> and having a single bibliography, but if anyone has a particular
> favorite reference style I don't feel strongly about it.  Lengthy
> direct quotes from other documents, books, etc. should be marked as

May I suggest:

blah blah...
Some Author

> Inline images (screenshots, etc.) should be included on their own
> paragraphs.  The ALT text should include a brief description of the
> image.  We may want to add figure captions inline in the text later.
> Do not include image formatting instructions, except height/width.
> Inline images should always be local; don't refer directly to an
> image on another site.

Do we want to be PNG purists here?

colin