Fwd: Hamster and Gnome 3.0

woops, forgot hamster-applet-devel-list

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Ross Smith <myxiplx googlemail com> wrote:
> Add the ability for users to add program title rules like this, but
> have the tracking itself as a user-initiated activity.
>
> So I could open a new ticket, then hit the keyboard shortcut to tell
> hamster to automatically start a ticket based on what I'm doing now?
>
> It's manual tracking for the lazy :-D

hmmmm... i'm afraid to sound too skeptic about the whole thing because
certainly a solution that makes sense is possible. I just don't want
to think out all the details (that's where dragons are) myself,
especially because i feel with guts that this is a no-fly idea.

Some of the problems i can think of from the top of my head, one will
stumble upon when trying to implement [semi-]automated tracking:
In order to gain at least somewhat usable precision ratio (even 90% is
bad for these cases because it's so easy to loose user's trust), one
would have to create rules not for single window, but for group of
windows, like to form a somewhat viable action. The list of rules that
would support this monstrosity will grow big really fast. What
constitutes an active window - should we take into account when it was
last viewed? Otherwise task tracking will switch every minute or so.
Should we allow to describe delays once a task has been activated?

Hmmm. This made me think - here is how we will do from now on:
whenever somebody has a suggestion, a UI mockup (sketch depicting
changes) is in order.

Toms