Manual start of TTS

Hi.

I am not using GNOME, but awesome WM [1] and I'd like to start TTS applet
manually - not via GNOME Session or how is it being started the "normal"
way - via command in terminal.

I am not much fluent in GNOME applets, bonobo & stuff, so the initial way
how to start TTS was via

  python /usr/lib/hamster-applet/hamster-applet

but that gave me

Running installed hamster, using [/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/hamster:$PYTHONPATH]
Data Dir: /usr/share/hamster-applet
SELECT version FROM version None
UPDATE version SET version = 4 ()
select count(*) from categories None
Binding shortcut <Super>S to popup hamster
Running with options: {'do_trace': False, 'standalone': False}

which I can't find usefull in any way...

Is there a way how to start TTS manually in a terminal or a way how to
simulate the right environment, where I can run TTS without Session
Manager?

[1] http://awesome.naquadah.org
--
Regards,