Re: Dbus support

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 3:50 AM, Giorgos Logiotatidis
<seadog sealabs net> wrote:
> On Πεμ, 2008-11-27 at 06:40 +0000, Toms wrote:
>> I am also voting for 3rd party application tracker thing.
>>
>> I was kind of trying to find the right arguments for some good 1/2
>> hour, but couldn't find anything that wouldn't start a bike shed
>> effect type of chatter.
>> So, in essence - tracking currently active application is the other
>> approach to time tracking. It requires training from user side, a ton
>> of semantics to make sense out of window sets and states. Content
>> extractors from the aforementioned window sets. And all it saves is
>> like, 200 clicks a day, compared to the millions user is doing.
>> Hamster becomes heavy, user keeps (and forgets) states of the
>> applicatoin in his head (gedit("something.txt")+firefox(somepage)+chat
>> with somebody = "work, or something"), and at the end of month, can't

exactly this is the type of thing that I don't like about "automatic"
for example a typical coding session for me involves. three or more
shell instances, with vim running on at least 2 of them, and one
running the server (if any), then several firefox tabs, one for the
app (if it's web), another for email + chat (gmail), at least 2 for
the trac, then 2+ for documentation, and of course several other tabs
for googling errors and documentation. So that's about 10 "windows",
now to make it worst that same set of windows today means working for
client X but tomorrow means client Y, and they are totally different
categories (hamster-wise). So I really don't see how that could be
tracked with automatic stuff.

>> decypher anything but some funny / curious statistics on how much time
>> has been spent on reading slashdot. That is not really time tracking.
>>
>> So - it certainly is an idea worth trying out, and i encourage you to
>> go for it, but let's keep it separate for now.
>> A plugin is a perspective worth considering, but before that - a third
>> party app, talking via DBUS could do the job!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Toms
>>

> I see your points Toms and Patryk and I must say that I agree that it's
> going to make things more complex for hamster users. It will definitely
> need I really good implementation concept to be actually usable and
> users don't mess up as Toms says.

I agree with Tmos and patryk automatic time tracking is something
really complex and not everyone will win from it.

> Such a feature though will make users that do a lot of things in
> parallel (like my self :) taking more advantage of hamster, because of
> the fast non-user-interaction changing of the tasks.

to be honest it really depends on how you structure your tasks. if you
sit and organize yourself into mid size tasks, say 30 min or more then
it isn't a problem.

> Let's keep this separate from hamster for now, as you suggest. When I
> get some implemented I will let you know and then we can reconsider
> whether it get users happy or angry! :)

in fact I'll suggest having a whole different set of tables so you can
use one or the other or both, but adding this type of tracking won't
complicate the "manual approach"