"No volume for device file" on gvfs-mount

Hello,

I'm trying to mount a LUKS-encrypted USB drive from the command line. I
have no root access on the machine in question, which means that every
step needs to be done with user privileges. That should not be a
problem, though, considering that Nautilus can decrypt and mount the
drive without superuser access.

Here's what happens on the command line:

        $ gvfs-mount -d /dev/sdc1
        No volume for device file /dev/sdc1

Some googling turned up this gvfs-list post
<https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gvfs-list/2011-August/msg00000.html>
about a similar (unsolved) case. I also found this post
<http://askubuntu.com/questions/63594/mount-encrypted-volumes-from-command-line>
with the proposed solution to remove the device from the fstab. This
doesn't apply to me, though, as my USB drive is not listed in the fstab.
The other ideas from the post don't work for me either, as udisksctl is
not installed and I have no root access. So now I'm stuck, and any help
is appreciated.

--
Cheers,
Toby