Re: Problem: The unlocked device does not have a recognizable file system on it

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply,
so I tried your suggestion with udisksctl:

$ udisksctl mount -b /dev/sdc1 (It's another external drive with sdc1 as luks)

Object /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sdc1 is not a mountable filesystem.
---
So I tried unlocking it with unlock:

~$ udisksctl unlock -b /dev/sdc1
Passphrase:
Unlocked /dev/sdc1 as /dev/dm-1
----
Unlocking LUKS works, but mounting dm-1 still fails:

$ udisksctl mount -b /dev/dm-1
Object /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/dm_2d1 is not a mountable filesystem.

sudo mount /dev/dm-1 /mnt/test <-- works as expected

So it seems udisksctl mount doesn’t work either.

I did a pastebin with the output of gvfs-mount -li: http://pastebin.com/rajgtBCL

So, where do I go from here?

thanks for your help!

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Ross Lagerwall <rosslagerwall gmail com> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 04:00:20PM +0100, tom handler wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> since a recent system(ubuntu) update something broke for me in gvfs.
> I cannot longer mount external encrypted filesystems(LUKS) with ext4
> partitions in them. Either with the automatic behaviour upon device plugin,
> or manual mounting with gvfs(below) this is the result:
>
> $ *gvfs-mount -d /dev/sdc2*
>
> Enter a passphrase to unlock the volume
>
> The passphrase is needed to access encrypted data on WDC WD250... (250 GB >
> Hard Disk).
>
> Password:
>
> *Error mounting /dev/sdc2: The unlocked device does not have a recognizable
> file* *system on it*
>

> The LUKS device has been actually unlocked correctly in /dev/mapper as
> luks-[uid] (/dev/dm-1) and a manual mount will mount the exposed ext4
> partition:
> "sudo mount /dev/dm-1 /mnt/testfolder" <-- works as expected.
>
> This is the gvfs version I'm using: gvfs:amd64, 1.18.2-0ubun.
>
> Could anyone help me debug this problem?
> How can I get more information about what's exactly happening  here?
>
> I'd like to add that this problem is not disk-related, using gvfs-mount
> with the same disks works fine on another system.

Is it possible to mount it with udisks?  It may be a problem with
udisks.

E.g. udisksctl mount -b /dev/sdc2

Otherwise the output of gvfs-mount -li could be helpful.

Regards
--
Ross Lagerwall