Problem: The unlocked device does not have a recognizable file system on it

Hi everyone,
since a recent system(ubuntu) update something broke for me in gvfs.
I cannot longer mount external encrypted filesystems(LUKS) with ext4 partitions in them. Either with the automatic behaviour upon device plugin, or manual mounting with gvfs(below) this is the result:

$ gvfs-mount -d /dev/sdc2

Enter a passphrase to unlock the volume

The passphrase is needed to access encrypted data on WDC WD250... (250 GB > Hard Disk).

Password:

Error mounting /dev/sdc2: The unlocked device does not have a recognizable file system on it

The LUKS device has been actually unlocked correctly in /dev/mapper as luks-[uid] (/dev/dm-1) and a manual mount will mount the exposed ext4 partition:
"sudo mount /dev/dm-1 /mnt/testfolder" <-- works as expected.

This is the gvfs version I'm using: gvfs:amd64, 1.18.2-0ubun.

Could anyone help me debug this problem?
How can I get more information about what's exactly happeningĀ  here?

I'd like to add that this problem is not disk-related, using gvfs-mount with the same disks works fine on another system.

thanks!