Re: System not responsive any more when mouting smb shares with a huge amount of files

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 10:36 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On mån, 2012-10-01 at 17:12 +0200, Paul Wellner Bou wrote:
> > On 10/01/2012 03:34 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > > So there is constant network traffic during the entire 'pause'?  Can you
> > > run wireshark and look at the traffic?  I'd wager it is gathering
> > > information about each-and-every file one-file-at-a-time.
> > May be. I have to set up a test environment as for now I splitted up the
> > directory in several sub directories to be able to work with this share.
> > An interesting detail may be that the traffic is constantly about 200
> > KiB/s, but on each screen refresh, the traffic is lower (about 100 KiB/s
> > -- this is what is visible in the tooltip information every time it
> > refreshes).
> > This problem should be reproducable with a simple test scenario, so I
> > will try when I find the time for it.
> > By the way, the > 1000 files are .epub files... not sure if the type of
> > the files my be a reason, because I don't know which application is
> > requesting the information.
> Maybe something is indexing the files on the mount. Does any other
> process seem to be constantly running?

Just open a terminal before doing the mount.
Become root in the terminal.
Perform the mount.
In the terminal a "netstat --tcp --program" will tell you what process
is opening all the files; likely this will just be the GVFS worker.

But will lsof work on a GVFS CIFS mount?  It doesn't look like it works
on a WebDAV mount.

If you run "gvfs-mount --monitor" in a terminal does it display
anything?

Most of the time GVFS mounts are actually mounts
to /run/user/{username}/gvfs/{mount-url}.