Re: gvfs gdbus port and the future of HAL

On Sat, 2011-06-04 at 16:23 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> I also checked in git head of the gbdus branch, and compilation stops
> rather early because I don't have gdbus-codegen in my $PATH, but in
> the parts that did build there's only two things left (gvfsd-metadata
> and meta-set):
>
> for f in `find`; do echo $f; ldd $f 2>/dev/null| grep -E 'hal|dbus'; done

Yeah, it's still work in progress, not everything has been ported yet
and I haven't bumped glib requirement yet either. Metadata is ported
except of traces of dbus.h includes needed to compile the included code
that I haven't touched yet.

Once the gvfs core is ported, I'll go for David's and Bastien's
suggestion to leave old hal volume monitor in tree and will make changes
to the build system, disabling libdbus by default.

So the current status of the port is not much different from last time,
I got distracted by other work. I've ported metadata and started looking
at gvfs core. Tried to make the core gvfs daemon work with
codegen-generated templates but due to specific nature of gvfs I'm
thinking about doing things manually. Haven't published more code as it
is hard WIP, will probably push one giant commit once finished, the code
is almost monolithic.

As I'm going to vanish for a vacation for next few weeks, I would like
to ask people to test current code, namely volume monitors.

Thanks,
--
Tomas Bzatek <tbzatek redhat com>