Re: gvfs gdbus port and the future of HAL

Hi,

Le vendredi 03 juin 2011 à 15:17 +0200, Tomas Bzatek a écrit :
> Bigger problem is HAL, I need your opinion. Here's my proposal:
>
> 1. nuke the hal volume monitor - on Linux it's no big deal but other
> platforms would suffer (remember the systemd flame on d-d-l and question
> about officially supported platforms). Though I guess udisks is probably
> going to be available soon on BSDs.

A lack of udisks on FreeBSD is the only thing that would cause problems
for us. Do you have any ETA for its availability?

(It would also drop Hurd support, but only RMS really cares.)

> 2. remove hal-specific code from gphoto2 volume monitor - gudev takes
> priority when available and I suppose it maintains full feature set -
> David, could you please confirm? Also in this case, see my concern above
> about non-Linux platforms.

I don’t think it would be a problem to disable gphoto2 on non-Linux
platforms.

> Both components are still using libdbus and porting them makes no sense.

Would it be possible, until udisks is available on FreeBSD (and maybe
Solaris) to make dbus an optional dependency that’s only here when
building the HAL volume monitor (disabled by default)?

> Once the volume monitor part is tested/reviewed, I'd like to merge it to
> master to get it into 1.10/3.2 release. I'm going to look at porting
> core gvfs daemon now.

Thanks for calling for input, it’s much appreciated.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :