Re: gvfs-gphoto breaks support for mtp music players

Hey,

I appear to have missed the email from David but I read it on the archives.

As was just said by Bastien this is currently impossible as libgphoto
does not use the MTP protocol therefore you cannot use MTP features if
gphoto mounts the device. If you really want all applications to just
use gio/gvfs, then you're going to have to mount MTP devices with
libmtp and use gphoto as a fallback if it turns out to be a PTP only
device. You'd also have to expose all the necessary functions to
create 'Albums' on the device, attach coverart to the 'Album', manage
tracks and track metadata, podcasts, videos and all that jazz. It's
definitely a non-trivial amount of work. Even if that were started
*right now* it'd be more than a year for it to hit distros which means
another year of bad user experiences with the current state of things.

> You never replied to that mail discussion we were having with Linus
> Wallej, in November 2008.

Was that directed to me or David?

Alan.