Re: the one true gphoto method?

On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 10:57 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Hey Mike,
>
> [moving this thread to gvfs-list]
>
> On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 20:44 -0400, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > How are gnome photo apps "supposed" to import photos these days?
> >
> > Most apps still use libgphoto2 to import photos, and it works just fine,
> > with the minor proviso that it locks the camera while in use.
> >
> > However, some distros are shipping with the gvfs backend for gphoto,
> > which means that gio users can share a camera, but old apps using
> > libgphoto2 are broken because the gvfs backend locks them out.

I also want to mention that it seems like your initial problem was that
you wanted to get the thumbnails from the camera via libgphoto. In
current versions of gvfs you can get these directly by asking for the
G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_PREVIEW_ICON attribute (its a GIcon that you can use
with e.g. gtk_image_set_from_gicon).