Re: the one true gphoto method?

Yeah, First, to generate thumbnails you should just use this function

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gnome-desktop/stable/GnomeDesktopThumbnailFactory.html#gnome-desktop-thumbnail-factory-generate-thumbnail

to generate a thumbnail. If the GVfs backend, such as the gphoto2 one,
supports G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_PREVIEW_ICON then things are very fast since
it gets the thumb directly from the camera. I believe the thumbnails

Thanks, I didn't realize that GnomeDesktopThumbnail used G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_PREVIEW_ICON automatically. That is very helpful, of course!

- Mike