Re: the one true gphoto method?

Alexander Larsson wrote:

However, some distros are shipping with the gvfs backend for gphoto, which means that gio users can share a camera, but old apps using libgphoto2 are broken because the gvfs backend locks them out.

I also want to mention that it seems like your initial problem was that
you wanted to get the thumbnails from the camera via libgphoto. In
current versions of gvfs you can get these directly by asking for the
G_FILE_ATTRIBUTE_PREVIEW_ICON attribute (its a GIcon that you can use
with e.g. gtk_image_set_from_gicon).

What if the camera (or card reader) mounts as USB mass storage under /media, and thus doesn't use the gphoto backend?

ligphoto could still provide a thumbnail/preview for that, same as a PTP camera. However, if we drop libgphoto entirely and migrate to gfile instead, I think we lose that ability, and we'd have to generate a thumbnail ourselves. Am I right?

This is in the context of migrating the gthumb importer.

- Mike