Re: Fixing gvfs-backend-afc for iPhone/iPod Touch access

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 10:05 +0200, Martin S. wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 11:32 +0200, Martin S. wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As talked about briefly with David Zeuthen on IRC, I'll try to announce
> > a new backend for GVFS in order to get some help making it work and
> > allow User Joe to plug'n'play his devices.
>
> > The source code can be found here:
> > http://cgit.sukimashita.com/gvfs-backend-afc.git/
> >

> Well, after quite some hacking and "shadowing" back and forth I think we
> actually reached a usable state. Big thanks to Basien and Nikias for the
> help.
>
> Plug and play for any number of iPhone/iPod Touch devices seems to work
> seamlessly, browsing and working on the exposed filesystem, too.
>
> Once we get some icons for multimedia-player-apple-ipod-touch and
> phone-apple-iphone in the distros (gnome-icon-theme I guess) things will
> look neat aswell:
> http://media.sukimashita.com/temp/gvfs-backend-afc-screenshot-1.png

Did you file a bug against gnome-icon-theme?

> Stuff that is open and related questions:
>
> - Nautilus does not "browse" the device on automount anymore (This
> worked before we took the shadowing out. What enables it again?)

In the File Management preferences, select the Media tab, and tick
"Browse media when inserted".

> - Run "indent xy" to apply GVFS coding style (What indent rules does
> GVFS use?)

Don't know, but my vim rules will help. I'll try and do that today.

> - Merge the AFC backend tree with GVFS HEAD (Really? Why not keep the
> benefit of an external/plugin backend with "special" dependencies like
> libiphone? Ain't the ultimate goal to rip of backends into own modules
> for easier maintenance?)

The gvfs API isn't public, so the current build system is probably
alright for a test package, but you won't be able to use it in a build
system with major hacking (eg. including a copy of gvfs in the sources).

> - Port to libgudev (why not libudev btw? gudev = nicer API?)

GObject-ish API, means no need for you to implement your own main loop,
or setup the watches on file descriptors. It lives in the main udev
repo.

Cheers