Re: Fixing gvfs-backend-afc for iPhone/iPod Touch access

On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 11:32 +0200, Martin S. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As talked about briefly with David Zeuthen on IRC, I'll try to announce
> a new backend for GVFS in order to get some help making it work and
> allow User Joe to plug'n'play his devices.

> The source code can be found here:
> http://cgit.sukimashita.com/gvfs-backend-afc.git/

Well, after quite some hacking and "shadowing" back and forth I think we
actually reached a usable state. Big thanks to Basien and Nikias for the
help.

Plug and play for any number of iPhone/iPod Touch devices seems to work
seamlessly, browsing and working on the exposed filesystem, too.

Once we get some icons for multimedia-player-apple-ipod-touch and
phone-apple-iphone in the distros (gnome-icon-theme I guess) things will
look neat aswell:
http://media.sukimashita.com/temp/gvfs-backend-afc-screenshot-1.png

Stuff that is open and related questions:

- Nautilus does not "browse" the device on automount anymore (This
worked before we took the shadowing out. What enables it again?)
- Run "indent xy" to apply GVFS coding style (What indent rules does
GVFS use?)
- Merge the AFC backend tree with GVFS HEAD (Really? Why not keep the
benefit of an external/plugin backend with "special" dependencies like
libiphone? Ain't the ultimate goal to rip of backends into own modules
for easier maintenance?)
- Port to libgudev (why not libudev btw? gudev = nicer API?)

Thanks!

--- Martin S.