Re: Questions about Nautilus/GVFS/GIO/gvfsd-dav

Hey,

> I'm working on a WebDAV server implementation
> (http://artisan.karma-lab.net/node/1268) for Drupal CMS (drupal.org). I
> tested it with DAV KIO_SLAVE (Dolphin & Konqueror), DavFS2, Cadaver and
> Litmus without any problem. But I have trouble to make it work correctly
> with Nautilus/GVFS (2.24).

I am not surprised. The current code has a few known flaws. I am still
working on fixing those but not sure all will be fixed for 2.24.

> So I have three (I hope simple) about GVFS fo which I can't find any
> answer on the net. If there any better mailing list for questions
> related to Nautilus/GVFS/gvfsd-dav, please tell me.

You are right here .-)

> 1/ Is there any technical documentation about GVFS. I don't mean API
> documentation but architecture, explaining how this is working (daemons,
> fuse, dbus communication, etc.). I just found a PDF presentation but it
> is far to simplified.

There is a bit of documentation in docs for gio, but not much. Also a
bit in the source tree itself. A long detail document doesn't exist
yet. Drop by at #nautilus (GIMPNET) maybe we can clear up things
there.

> 2/ Is there any way to have some kind of debugging traces in order to
> understand where gvfsd-dav is crashing ?

Run the main gvfs daemon in the forground (start it from the command
line with the "-r", i.e. replace) flag and watch the debugging spew.
To increase the debugging spew of http/dav set the GVFS_HTTP_DEBUG env
variable to "all" [or "body" or "header"].

> 3/ I fell this is a Nautilus issue but when a file is moved from one
> place to another in the same GVFS space (i.e. dav in my case), why the
> process is :
>   - load de source file (issuing a WebDAV/GET)
>   - save the content to target folder (issuing a WebDAV/PUT)
>   - delete source file (issuing a WebDAV/DELETE)
>  There is no "move" primitive in GIO in order to just "move" a file or
> it is nautilus that just don't use it ?
There is support in gio/gvfs to handle moves inside the same gvfs
mount natively in the backend (i.e. doing a MOVE not a GET, PUT,
DELETE) but I think its just not implement yet. My fault again.

> Thank you in advance for your responses. And by the way, thank you to
> peoples who are working on GVFS/GIO, this is just a great step for Gome
> desktop.
Always good to hear that! Thanks a bunch!

Hope that helped a bit.

Cheers,
Christian