Re: [guppi-list] New Guppi Snapshot

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 11:00:09AM -0700, James K. Wiggs wrote:
>    The main problem is that you need to install libgnomeprint11 in
> order to get that file /usr/share/fonts/fontmap, but the only version
> of libgnomeprint11 available as an RPM requires gnome-print-0.24, which
> breaks about 20 different dependencies because it apparently does not
> contain the file libgnomeprint.so.6.

There were incompatible API changes intoduced in gnome-print 0.21,
which is what must be causing these problems.  For a while Guppi
supported both the old and new gnome-print APIs, but I stopped
worrying about supporting the new API once Helix released their
gnome-print 0.21 package.

...but maybe that was premature.  I'd like Guppi to not be a *total*
nightmare to install on RH6.x systems, which is why I added guile
1.3.0 support a while ago.

Maybe someone who has a RH6.x system with only gnome-print 0.20 could
try the following: grab guppi3 out of CVS, and change lines 185-188 of
configure.in from:

185: AM_PATH_GNOME_PRINT(0.23.0)
186:
187: ### Support for the old gnome-print API is now officially deprecated.
188: ### AC_CHECK_LIB(gnomeprint, gnome_font_get_size, AC_MSG_RESULT("Using new GnomeFont API"), AC_DEFINE(USING_OLD_FONT_API), $GNOME_PRINT_LIBS)

185: AM_PATH_GNOME_PRINT(0.20.0)
186:
187: ### Support for the old gnome-print API is NOT officially deprecated.
188: AC_CHECK_LIB(gnomeprint, gnome_font_get_size, AC_MSG_RESULT("Using new GnomeFont API"), AC_DEFINE(USING_OLD_FONT_API), $GNOME_PRINT_LIBS)

(i.e. change the verion # in line 185 and uncomment line 188.)

Then autogen.sh, configure and make as usual.

If this still works, let me know and I'll adjust Guppi's build
accordingly.

-JT

--
GNU/Linux: Free your mind and your OS will follow.