Re: [guppi-list] New Guppi Snapshot

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Jon Trowbridge wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 05:37:00PM +0100, Neil J Pilgrim wrote:
> > Jon Trowbridge wrote:

> > > What version of gnome-print do you have installed?
> >
> > Ah. 0.20-1 (deb) (libgnomeprint[6,-dev])
>
> configure is *supposed* to require 0.23 or later.  Upgrading should
> fix the problem.
>
> -JT

   My experience over the past week has been that it is essentially
impossible to get a clean, working build of Guppi on a RedHat 6.2
system, at least after installing the Helix GNOME packages.  There
are too many conflicting RPM dependencies, making it absolutely
impossible to install all of the packages that are needed, each at a
recent enough revision level.  Has *anyone* managed this?

   The main problem is that you need to install libgnomeprint11 in
order to get that file /usr/share/fonts/fontmap, but the only version
of libgnomeprint11 available as an RPM requires gnome-print-0.24, which
breaks about 20 different dependencies because it apparently does not
contain the file libgnomeprint.so.6.  So you can't do an upgrade, all
you can do is an rpm -i to install it alongside gnome-print-0.20; but
then you also have to install gnome-print-devel-0.24, which puts some
conflicting files into the headers directory, and you then break the
Guppi compile *completely*.  What a nightmare!

regards,
Jim Wiggs
wiggs wiggs net