Re: [guppi-list] Hacking continues unabated

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 11:08:03PM +0100, Neil J Pilgrim wrote:
> > * Drag & drop has been added.  You can now drag data objects out of
> >   the data window and drop them onto scatterplot axes (or onto
> >   data selector widgets, which have also been rewritten to be nicer).
>
> Data-selector widgets? If you mean the box-plots, then for me it appears
> to do the same thing as dropping on the axes.

By "data selector widgets" I mean the little thingies on the scatter
plot config dialog for specifying x-data, y-data, color-data, etc.
Those can act as drop targets.

> Also while DnD'ing the
> data onto axes is quite nice, in doing so you disallow multiple
> data-sets on the same graph.

The way this is set up, axis DnD is optional; it only works if the
axis is explicitly linked to one particular data-layer.

> > * I've fixed tool handling.  Rather than having a bunch of bizarre mouse
> >   button bindings, there is now a "tool toolbar".  (Which is partially
> >   text now: if anyone is good at drawing pretty icons, let me know.)
>
> This is better, though a lot of them don't work ATM...which I'm sure you
> knew anyhow ;)

Well, some of the default tools (zoom, move, home, etc.) don't really
do anything for certain plot elements.  When the toolbar gets built,
it shouldn't put those up there if they don't do anything useful with
anything on the screen.  This is on the to-do list...

> > * Keyboard bindings have been added.  You can use the arrow keys to
> >   pan around a scatter plot, etc.
>
> I can move around, but anything else? Problem with key use in this sort
> of program is not knowing how much to move axes by, etc.

I just added a keyboard binding listing to the help pop-up.  (Not
checked in yet.)  There also should be a dialog to allow the
x-/y-ranges to be set to precise values... also on the to-do list.

> > * There is now a dialog for editting text elements (like the title of
> >   a plot).
>
> The title length can wrap over the end of the screen. Also, while
> automatically-moved axis titles are ok, it would be nice to be able to
> explicitly move them where you want - so you'd have
> 'left/centre/right/free' settings for positioning, for example ?

Yes.  And multi-line text would be nice.  And rotated text.
This will be implemented someday, in my copious free time...

> > * The configuration tree widget has been re-written so as to suck
> >   less.
>
> The results part of the slinreg (or whatever its called) causes a crash
> with:
>
> plot::slinreg-ERROR **: Couldn't find "slinreg-statviewer.glade"
> aborting...
>
> I didn't install, but am running from src/guppi - could this be the
> reason ?

No, that glade file got left out of the distribution.  I'll fix that.

Thanks,
-JT

--
GNU/Linux: Free your mind and your OS will follow.