Re: [guppi-list] changes in goose

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Asger Alstrup Nielsen wrote:

> I just committed a patch that enables compilation of goose on Windows
> 95/98/NT (i.e. not guppi).  There is a Microsoft Developer Studio v6.0
> file in there that you can use to try it, but it should be easy to get it
> going with any Windows compiler.  Therefor, I won't provide project files
> for other environments than DevStud6.

Cool!

> When that is done, I'll have a look at cleaning up a few things, and then
> enhancing the ASCII import feature, to the benefit of the Unix version as
> well.

This will be great; my todo list is something like:

- implement guess_columns()
- implement importation of a stream (as an option, if slurping the
  whole thing is not feasible)
- wish list item: build a data structure containing the start/end
  index of each token in the string being parsed, so the import
  dialog can show a text widget with token highlighting. That way
  as the user changes the separator, etc. they can see what
  impact their changes will have on the parsing.

You're welcome to do any of those things, or a total redesign if you have
cooler ideas. Clearly the current stuff is not super-fast either, though
it seems to be "fast enough" as long as you have data points in the
hundred thousands and not millions. If you want to change the interface,
give me some warning because it will break Guppi.

> I was browsing the automake/autoconf documentation to learn how to set up
> the Unix configuration to default the CXXFLAGS to "-Wall -pedantic -ansi"
> when using gcc, but I didn't manage to.  Maybe somebody on this list knows
> what needs to be put in where?

Jon and I played with this some, I thought we added this but I guess we
didn't at the last minute. He'll have to remind me why we did that because
I've forgotten.

Havoc