Re: gssdp to announce a web server?

On 9 April 2014 23:36, Karl Hiramoto <karl hiramoto org> wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to make a network device where you access it via http://MyDevice
I'd like it to be visible to OSX, Windows, android devices on the LAN if
possible.    Is this possible with SSDP?   Are there any code examples?
The device is assigned an IP via DHCP, for a non-technical user it's hard to
figure out the IP address.    Is this a suitable application of SSDP?

If you're looking for a technology that would make your local web site
visible to users in unmodified file managers or browsers in all those
systems, you'll probably be disappointed. Newer Windows versions can
show at least some UPnP services (so SSDP) in the file manager under
"Networks" IIRC. I doubt this applies to random urls announced over
SSDP though. Apples desktop Safari does show urls announced over mDNS
(Bonjour) under "Bookmarks > Local sites". These two are the only
widely supported local site discovery methods I know of.

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gssdp/tree/tests/test-publish.c should do
for just publishing a url over SSDP but like I said, it might not show
up in Windows if it doesn't advertise some known UPnP service.

I've got a python example of using Avahi/Bonjour to announce a local
site here: https://github.com/jku/ffs/blob/master/ffs.py#L173. This
shows up in at least Safari and Epiphany browsers.

Jussi