Function g_signal_by_name problem

Hello all of you!

I am trying to make a device I created using gupnp libs send a message.
So I defined that device (called dev) that way:

GUPnPRootDevice *dev;
GUPnPContext *context;
context = gupnp_context_new (NULL, NULL, 0, NULL);
gupnp_context_host_path (context, "BasicDevice1.xml", "/BasicDevice1.xml");
dev = gupnp_root_device_new (context, "BasicDevice1.xml", "/home/paolo/Desktop/Paolo/prova1" );
gupnp_root_device_set_available (dev, TRUE);

/* than I said to emit the signal calling g_signal_emit*/

g_signal_emit_by_name ( GUPnPRootDevice::dev, "service-proxy-available");

/*next I enter a main loop*/

The problem comes out when I compile the source code, as I get this error:

dev1.cpp:28:25: error: ‘dev’ is not a member of ‘GUPnPRootDevice {aka _GUPnPRootDevice}’

I cannot understand why if I defined dev as GUPnPRootDevice it should be not a member of. Where is the problem? I tried different inputs to that instances but I always get errors.

Thanks for your time.

Paolo