Re: GUPnP and Zones

On 26 April 2013 13:07, Mark Ryan <mark d ryan linux intel com> wrote:

Hi Ludo,

I must said I'm a little confused about your proposals and about the
direction which takes this discussion.

Sorry, not trying to muddy waters, I'm still trying to understand the
options myself.

I probably commented on way too many things: my main point is that we
should not try to "force" apps to be secure because the application
developers are the only ones with both:
A) some understanding of and maybe even interest in the security
implications of accessing upnp services on random networks
B) good guesses about what the user actually wants to do at a given moment

The user does not have A.
Middleware -- upnp or networking -- on the other hand does not have B.

Sorry about the confusion.  Let me try to summarise the proposals again.

Marks summary is really spot on for my part. Thanks.

Jussi