Re: GUPnP and Zones

Hi Jussi,

For the first two cases adding another layer of UI (outside the apps
control) seems wrong, and I wouldn't be surprised if app developers
would be annoyed about that. I don't have specific ideas about how to
solve this but I think the apps should have fairly strong control over
this.

I agree with this and this case is covered to some extent by the proposal in my original email. The idea would be to

a) use zone information, where available, to provide a safe set of defaults for UPnP clients and servers

b) add a new API to GUPnP to allow clients ( UPnP control points and servers ) to override these defaults.

So ultimately, the applications would retain control.

Of course, if we implemented this feature, we would change the default behaviour (i.e. to share everything on all networks) of existing GUPnP clients where zone information is available. But giving the security risks maybe this isn't such a bad thing. If clients wanted to revert to the old behaviour, they would need to update their code to use the new API.

There is of course a caveat for dLeyna clients here. Apps that used the dLeyna components would share the same set of settings for accessing networks.

Regards,

Mark