Re: [gugmasters] getting a domain of srilanaka.gnome.org

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 07:03:47PM +0530, Danishka Navin wrote:
> Why we localize?
> Why we market the product?
> Why do we release parties?

We are talking about different things.

I am not after if you get a subdomain or not. That's totally fine. I
understand for marketing you want something '$NAME.gnome.org'. Again,
totally fine.

What I want to understand is what *functionality* you need.

So say it in yet another way:
  Bad example: I can make a $NAME.gnome.org and if you point your
  browser to it, you get an error message that it cannot find the site.
  This because I don't setup a website. Could be because I assumed you
  only wanted some email aliases.
  Or: I didn't understand your needs for $NAME.gnome.org.

  Now, I understand you want something like a website, but what
  functionality the website should have is totally unclear.

  So what I am requesting is what functionality you're after. This to
  ensure when it is setup, it does what you thought it would do.

> Lets develop the product with minimal effort. is it ok?
> what the mater of creating the a subdomain and publishing the content?

That is not minimal effort. If I do not get what you want, it'll result
in a lot of work on my side to continuously change as you make the
requirements of the site known.

E.g. maybe I setup the email aliases and you wanted a website. Means a
lot of work for me to remove the email aliases configuration and then
setup a website.

I want to understand *up front* what you're requesting from the sysadmin
team. Subdomain is very vague! Website I understand, functionality: no
idea.

> > I don't get it. I asked if basic HTML is enough, it was. Then wordpress
> > is fine too.. now you say blogspot / WP is not good enough?
> >
> > Maybe explain it in another way:
> > I can make a search.gnome.org subdomain and point it towards the same
> > machine as www.google.com. All the technical bits are handled by google.
> > Only thing GNOME does is the name.
> >

> what i try to say is if you really have an issue with supporting us by
> creating the subdomain and giving some space
> the only solution is to create a basic blog at some where else.

Please re-read my message. Saying subdomain to me is not at all
specific. I do not get at all what you want. It is not about setting
something up.

'some space'.. I don't get it. Please explain the needs more concretely.
--
Regards,
Olav